What is Google Web Toolkit(GWT)
GWT is a development toolkit for building and optimizing complex browser-based applications.
This tool has been used to develop products such as Google Adwords and Orkut
Features of GWT
- Help create web application with a rich client experience.
- Works with other web frameworks (Seam, Struts, Spring).
- Handles browser compatibilities issues.
- Allows for simplication of our front-end technology stack.
Tools That I am Using
- Eclipse Luna
- GWT version 2.6.0
This tutorial assumes that you have already install Java development kit (eg. OpenJdk-7-jre) and Eclipse version of your choice. So lets get started with
setting up GWT. Ensure you have internet access and here are the Steps:
- Launch your Eclipse and you will get Something like this:
- Click on help and then click on Install New Software. A pop up window will look like this:
- Click on the add and pop up window will look like this:
- At the pop window you will have to add Name and location. Name put:Web tool platform and location put: http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/updates and
click ok. Wait for while and you will get the available site. Select Web tool platform sdk and click next.
Follow the screen and finish the installation process. After installation process is done restart eclipse and you will have the following on your screen.
Now we are done with lesson 1 and we have just finished setting the environment we will be using. See you in lesson 2.