H.E. PRESIDENT UHURU KENYATTA
State House, State House Road,
P.O. BOX 40530,
Dear Mr. President,
I am writing this letter with high hopes that it reaches you with sober heart and a pair of open ears. I know you are busy so I will keep it short and sweet.
Youth unemployment and underemployment in Kenya continues to be a major obstacle to the full utilization of human resources despite relatively strong growth in the region. According to aljazeera video dated 24 July 2014, almost 10 million people were unemployed.
Kenya really needs to create 10 million new jobs. And if you think that’s impossible, I challenge you sir, lets count to ten and I believe we can win. Below I have listed vertically ten possible ways to create 10 million new jobs.
10,000,000 new jobs
- Get 20 companies to invest in Kenya and produce 500,000 new jobs
- Get 40 companies to move in each providing 250,000 new jobs.
- Get 50 companies to move in each providing 200,000 new jobs.
- Get 80 companies to move in each providing 125,000 new jobs.
- Get 100 companies to move in each providing 100,000 new jobs.
- Get 125 companies to move in each providing 80,000 new jobs.
- Get 160 companies to move in each providing 62,500 new jobs.
- Get 200 companies to move in each providing 50,000 new jobs.
- Get 250 companies to move in each providing 40,000 new jobs
- Get 500 companies to move in each providing 20,000 new jobs
So far so good, at least we are thinking constructively. The big question is, “How can you possibly find these companies?” I suggest try using the “1 to 10” technique with each of the above possibilities.
Make a list of ten companies in the world that could be persuaded to move into Kenya. Go to them, challenge them to expand their markets and increase their sales productivity to the point they will need to hire more people.
It might take ten years to do it. It might be accomplished in two or three years. But it’s possible. If it is going to be, its up to us. Cheers to 2015 Sir.
What is your take on that idea Mr. President?
Henry Mbugua Kiarie